It is famous for its fruit production, especially strawberries and peaches, and to be the birthplace to Giuseppe Pellizza da Volpedo who wanted to pass on the name of the city by binding it to him. The village is included in the list of "I Borghi più belli d'Italia".

THE ANCIENT VILLAGE
Volpedo is an ancient village built in the form of a square, lying on a hill where the Val Curone opens onto a plain. It is an obligatory stopping-off point for anyone who, following the path of the Curone stream, is visiting the different villages of the valley. Once it was surrounded by a medieval wall, largely demolished in the nineteenth century, of which only a very small part remains intact today .
Among the places to visit are the atelier and the museum of the painter, Pellizza da Volpedo the Pinacoteca, the Pieve di San Pietro (a Romanic pleban church) and then to amble through the small lanes and alleys where you can admire the reproductions of the artist’s paintings in the exact same spot in which they were painted .
THE MEDIEVAL WALLS
This fortified area was built approximately in the tenth century, facilitated in construction by the natural hill lapped by the waters of the Curone on which the village lies.

In the nineteenth century the medieval walls were demolished, of which only a small restored part exists today, thanks to the painter Giuseppe Pellizza intervening with the competent authorities.
LA PIEVE
This small country church, an absolute Romanesque jewel of the Val Curone, is the main historical monument of Volpedo. The parish church is mentioned for the first time in the year 965 in a pergamon parchment kept in the Capitolare Archive in Tortona. In addition to the apse, the top of the back wall of the central nave and a section of the longitudinal wall of the northern facade belong to the original building of the eleventh century. The remaining perimeter walls, the façade and the portal date back to the 15th century reconstruction, as do the frescoes preserved inside.
On the façade there is an ogival portal, with very simple workmanship, and decorations with pilasters arranged asymmetrically. The interior has three naves, divided by rows of four quadrangular pillars which support pointed or round arches; there is a trussed roof .
Of great note are the late fifteenth century frescoes, attributed to the Boxilio brothers (also mentioned in the archival documents as Baxilio or Basiglio), of Castelnuovo Scrivia, who owned the most important laboratory in the area of Tortona.
The profile of the pleban church with its small belfry is easily recognizable in Pellizza’s painting "Fiumana" , (Stream of people) one of the preparatory works that are part of the series that culminated in "Il Quarto Stato" (The Fourth Estate).
Recent renovations have allowed for the recovery of the frescoes in the apse, attributed to the masters Manfredino and Franceschino Boxilio (XV - early XVI century). The baptismal font is occupied by the figure of Christ Pantocrator surrounded by the symbols of the four evangelists (the so-called Tetramorph), with the elegantly dressed figure of the Virgin on one side and that of St. Michael the Archangel on the other.
Beneath in a niche placed just below the vesica piscis with the Christ, is the figure of King David, portrayed with a beard and grey hair in order to emphasize the continuity between the Old and New Testaments. It is flanked on both sides by the twelve apostles and an image of Cristo in Pietà (Christ in Pity). The style, despite the date of its execution, is obviously Gothic.
La Pieve is open to the public on Saturday afternoons, Sundays and holidays.
From 1 October to 30 April with the following hours: 15:00 - 17:00 | From 1 May to 30 September: 16:00 to 19:00
Guided tours can be arranged through the "Pellizza da Volpedo" non-profit-making association opening hours Pieve San Pietro
ROMANIC PLEBAN CHURCH
OF SAINT PETER
GIUSEPPE PELLIZZA DA VOLPEDO


He was born in Volpedo on 28 July 1868. His father Pietro was a small landowner, a wine merchant, very involved in the political and social life of the town. Illustrious exponent of Divisionism and author of the famous "Il Quarto Stato", Pellizza is one of the most famous protagonists of Italian art between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. His strong attachment to Volpedo is why he chose to live and work in his hometown, thus establishing a close and indissoluble relationship with the men and the ambient, immortalized in his works.
The atelier in which Pellizza painted, practiced and studied, looking out onto fields and the countryside, was built by the painter in 1888 onto the back of the house. It was later expanded to assume, in 1896, the current role of a large parallelepiped central nucleus with a wide zenithal skylight.
It was donated by Pellizza’s two daughters to the municipality of Volpedo in 1966 and restored to its original condition between 1986 and 1994, when it was opened to the public.
THE ATELIER OF PELLIZZA
Once inside, one is struck by the size of the room, 6.50x8.25m by 5.5 in height. The walls have been restored to the same hue they had been painted in by Pellizza : a dark but warm shade of burnt Siena, an intense shade, as was the custom in most nineteenth-century ateliers.
At the end of the walls, Pellizza himself painted an architectural arch, constructing with effective perspective the illusion of a cornice with relief mouldings, playing skilfully on the monochrome.
Inside the studio there are a series of sketches and preparatory drawings, the original palettes and pigments, a self-portrait in charcoal and portraits of his father and mother oil on canvas painted in 1890.
previous arrow
next arrow
Slider

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

 

CANTINE VOLPI Srl
Strada Statale 10, n°72 | 15057 Tortona (AL) Italy | Cap. Soc. € 520.000 int. vers. | R.E.A. AL 77882 | p.iva 00280570060

© 2017 Cantine Volpi. All Rights Reserved.

Search